I've taught my children a kind of bad thing. When driving down the rode and I would see someone riding a motorcycle without a helmet I would call them organ donors. I didn't think much about it until my children started in on it. In adult ICU work that is what we call people who ride motorcycles without helmets. It seems so senseless. What really made this come to light for me was when I worked in the adult ICU. I was taking care of a 21 year old guy who was in a motorcycle wreck. His body was amazingly unharmed with the exception of massive head trauma. I spent the day caring for him but more importantly comforting his grief stricken mother. He died. It all seemed so senseless. Had he had a helmet on he would have been fine. Probably would have walked away. Instead I was left to comfort his mother whose grief was overwhelming. I have never understood the need to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Medical science can fix a lot of injuries but your brain is the only one you have and ever will. If it gets messed up you are messed up. You have to wear a seat belt in a car but not a helmet on a motorcycle. I guess the motorcycle lobby is stronger than the car lobby. Anyway, I've explained to them why I never want them on a motorcycle without a helmet (I really don't ever want them on one period). I never want to be that grieving mother.
Sophie
Welcome Family and Friends
Together we can shake things up, make some waves and have fun doing it!
Believe it or not...
The choice is yours!
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Organ Donors
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment