Welcome Family and Friends

Welcome Family and Friends
Together we can shake things up, make some waves and have fun doing it!

Believe it or not...

Believe it or not...
The choice is yours!
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tough Medical Decision for the Mini Mister

The Mini Mister has to have surgery after the first of the year and the PICU at UTMB is closed for what looks like good. Do I keep his surgeon who knows him well but operates at a hospital with a new PICU and inexperienced staff...or... do I go to a new surgeon who doesn't know him and will probably put him through a bunch of test so he can be at a hospital with an experience PICU staff???? I truly don't know what to do. I hate this. Everyone at UTMB knows and loves him. I hate going some place new. Ugh!!! I'm leaning toward keeping the surgeon. People seem to think that I can overcome the inexperience of the PICU staff. I just know that I will be mom in this situation, not a nurse. Seeing him intubated and paralyzed will shake me up. I've seen it before but this is different, I'm his Mommy now. I just know that an experienced nurse can make all the difference. The surgeon isn't there 24/7. He has been through so much. He shouldn't even be alive. I know God has brought him through so much and will continue to see him through the rest. I just never thought I would be having to make this decision. I just always assumed UTMB would be there. Some tough choices to make.

Sophie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should follow the surgeon. You are a nurse so even if you go to where the PICU staff doesn't have experience with the mini mister they do have experience. Yes they will do things differently than UTMB but it doesn't mean it's wrong. And come on who won't fall in love with the mini mister?? He will be taken care of and I know you'll be up there with him. The most important thing is to have the surgeon be consistant and know his unique case. Which ever way you go I'm sure he wil be fine. Like you said God has pulled him through many obsticles and there was a time when UTMB didn't know the mini mister either. Amanda W.