Welcome Family and Friends

Welcome Family and Friends
Together we can shake things up, make some waves and have fun doing it!

Believe it or not...

Believe it or not...
The choice is yours!
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Making Sushi

As many of you know I have developed quite a love for sushi. I decided to try my hand at making it myself tonight. It turned out really good.

All of ingredient were cut into thin strips. I used cucumbers, carrots, avocado and smoked salmon. Making the rice was the tricky part. It isn't just regular, ole' rice. I found a good sushi rice recipe and used it and it turned out really good. There are a bunch out there. I then laid the nori out on the bamboo rolling mat. Be careful opening the nori package. I accidentally ripped the nori when opening the package.
Next, I spread out the rice leaving a border (it will fill out when you roll it). It helps to have your hands wet so the rice doesn't stick to them. Then add the filling on one end.

Next, I started rolling making the roll tight but not squishing it.
After it is rolled up you then carefully squeeze the roll inside the bamboo roller gently to keep it from unrolling while cutting.
Here are the finished rolls. It is best to let them sit a bit before cutting them. Also, use a very sharp knife (I found that a serrated one worked best) that is wet for cutting.
Here's the finished product. They were delicious. This is way cheaper than buying the sushi rolls but is some work. But, I had fun doing it. I will be trying some different recipes in the future. This will definitely not be my last time making sushi.
Now, go make some sushi!

No comments: