We live in a very blessed country. We have more possessions than we know what to do with. A friend posted something about this on her blog. She is at a conference at another church that is huge with escalators and the works. She was struggling with how much do we need. Her church is doing some major renovations to their sanctuary. She questioned the necessity of this but in the end decided to trust her church leadership. Now, this is the attitude to have.
I struggle with this issue also but on a more personal level. Why do we need the big fancy houses, cars, etc. Does a family of 3 really need 6000 square feet even if they can afford it? I fall into this. Sometimes I think I want a new house but mine is almost paid off. What could I do with that money for God if I don't pour it into the bigger and better house.
I'm doing Blackaby's Called and Accountable study right now. He says it is important to keep your life in a position of being able to go if God calls. I wonder if I'm there. If God called could I go? Or, would all my worldly possessions keep me trapped into my paycheck that I couldn't just follow Him.
There is so much of a push for material wealth, even in the church. God says he will provide our needs, not make us rich by man's standards. Living in this country we are rich. If you are reading this then you have a computer or access to one. You probably have a roof over your head with more than one room, food spoiling in your fridge, and more clothes in your closet than you could ever wear. I know because I do.
We need to present our best to God but what He wants more than a fancy building is the best of our hearts and service to Him. I think we build the fancy buildings to attract the world to Him. It is important that we win the lost. The world has so many distractions that if we are going to be visible we must make ourselves "nicer". But, it seems that all the stuff gets in our way of serving God. The more you have to maintain the more time it takes to maintain it. I don't minimize numbers, numbers represent souls. It just seems that church use to be simpler. There was a simple church building for worship. Now, it takes a mass group of people to keep churches going.
With Leopold in church leadership, I see how much time we spend (and require our leadership to spend) on things that don't have eternal value. We are to make the service of our church leadership joyful. Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls and will give an account for their work. Let them do this with joy and not with complaints, for this would be no advantage for you. We seem to have some thought that our church leaders answer to us. We have an attitude of I voted you in and I'll vote you out. This is how our country runs with its political leaders, not the church. The elders are accountable to God and God alone. If they lead the congregation astray then they will answer to God for that. It isn't that we are mindless creatures but that God set up Godly authority in our lives. Submission to that authority is part of our relationship with Christ. If we have rebellion in our hearts then our relationship with God will suffer. This rebellion can take on the form of simply not trusting their decisions and wanting explanations for what they have decided. How much time do we require of them in explaining what they feel the leading of the Holy Spirit? What if we think the Holy Spirit is telling us something differently? Sometimes it is hard to submit when you don't agree with or understand what they have decided. I've been there. But, what I've learned is that there is so much that goes on that I don't know and don't need to know. I cannot handle it and sometimes it truly isn't any of my business. It is better to leave it in the hands of those men called of God to handle it. They owe me no explanation. I will focus on my relationship with Christ and not get wrapped up in leading the church. I will pray for my leaders and their protection from those that want to hinder and harm them. Maybe it is easier for me to trust their decisions because I see the time spent in prayer seeking God's leading. Trust me when I tell you they spend much time in prayer. They do not make their decisions on whim.
So, let's trust them. Let's submit to them. Let them lead and spend time in prayer not in defense of their actions. Let them spend time with their families and not require them to be at the church everytime the doors are open. Let them serve in joy and not regret that they ever took on the role of elder. Let's pray for their protection as they will assuredly come under Satan's attack. Let's pray for their families.
The word submission use to be an ugly word for me. It meant I had no power or control. God has the power and control and I will trust that to Him. Godly submission isn't mindless. It is an act of worship to our Creator.
I didn't intend for this to get this long but one thought led to another. So, enjoy!
Welcome Family and Friends
Together we can shake things up, make some waves and have fun doing it!
Believe it or not...
The choice is yours!
Friday, April 18, 2008
Random Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment